Sunday, December 30, 2012

Things We Take For Granted


Pangas and Palapas on the playa in La Paz.
I’m sitting in a café in La Paz, Mexico and trying to connect to the internet and it's not happening.  This is definitely something that we take for granted in the States…secure, fast, reliable internet connections.  But what can you do?  You can’t make a place outside of the US get better internet servers.  So you have to deal with it the best you can.  And the best that I can is by trying to let go of my expectations that are based on my experiences in the United States; easier said than done when I’ve been trained to expect secure, fast, reliable internet connections.  But this gives me time to sit back and take in the scenery; absorb the culture and relax.  Sure, it would be great to have an internet connection, but that isn’t always going to be the case.  I have to accept that and move on. 

The malécon in La Paz.
So here I sit, at a beachside café, typing away this blog entry, watching people stroll along the malécon (beachside boardwalk), watching the waves lap the shore on a sunny, Sunday afternoon in La Paz, Mexico.  It’s the Sunday before Christmas and I’m trying to wrap my head around where the time has gone.  Just over three months ago Richard and I left Seattle on this journey and because of the warm climates we’ve been in, it’s hard to remember that Christmas is just a few days away.  I have to remember to go to the playa before I head back to the boat and get some beach sand to secure my little “Christmas tree” that I’m going to decorate tonight.  By “Christmas tree” I actually mean a little twig I picked up while hiking at Bahia Los Frailes.  I’ll put it in a cup, pour in the sand to secure it, string my battery-operated lights on its branches, hang the few ornaments I brought along with some that I will make and hope that the spirit of Charlie Brown’s little Christmas tree can radiate from my attempts and get me in the mood for the holidays,  It’ll be different, that’s for sure.  Then again, every day is what you make of it, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment