Monday, November 12, 2012

San Diego, California...Portuguese Bingo!...Part III

Tim, Richard and me with daubers ready to go.
On our way to the lecture at the Downwind Marine store the other night, Kathy and I noticed that the Portuguese social club held bingo every Thursday night.  I think both of us may have screamed as we realized how much fun this could be. So, on Thursday, I scoped things out and found out that entrance was $21 (I know, steep on a cruising budget!), and that dinner and drinks were served all night long.  I passed this information along and Kathy and Tim decided to join Richard and I for an exciting night of bingo...Portuguese style!


Bingo action!
After paying our entrance fee and collecting our daubers and playing cards, we headed into the hall and found a table. More importantly, we found a local woman who was more than patient with explaining the various strange ways bingo is played nowadays (this isn't your grandmother's bingo!).  A linguica sandwich set me back $3.75 and Tim bought the first round of Sagres (Portuguese beer, at $2 a bottle!).  All in all, I spent a total of $31.25, which, as I mentioned, is steep for entertainment on my cruising budget.  Kathy and I had previously discussed that the cost of playing bingo was more than one night's moorage at the marina and in order to offset this cost, it was decided that who ever won would pay the rest of the table's entrance fee.  Well, as luck would have it, I hit the second highest prize of the night and won $300!  After paying off everyone at the table I still walked away with over $200.  Needless to say, I'm pretty sure I'm going back next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment